Keep a gratitude diary – how many times have I read that this really helps to boost your mood? It should be on my Dog-walking route, I know that. But… I don’t want to do this one. In fact, it was supposed to be yesterday’s task, and I ditched it because I don’t want to do it. I am afraid that I will realise I have no blessings to count. I am insulted by the idea that something so small could be all it takes to chase away a Dog so big I haven’t been able to shove him out the door yet. And more than either of these it is just so cheesy.
It’s time to tackle it though, so I am going to make it easier for myself by re-branding it. I am quantifying my intangible assets. Here we go…
I am fortunate to…
- have a lovely and sympathetic husband
- be raising two beautiful, interesting and fun boys
- be able to afford two homes – one to live in and one to rent out and live off
- be able to earn some money while I am a SAHM even if it’s not the way I meant my career to go
- be financially able to take time to be a SAHM (even if I have a constant niggle of guilt that I am letting my career slide)
- Live in a lovely bit of my favourite city
- Be physically healthy and fit
- Be smart enough with money to keep us afloat on one salary
- have friends and a wealth of opportunities to make new ones if I ever get my act together to go out and do something new.
- have a good heart, and a kind disposition (currently hiding under the bed because they are scared of Dogs).
- Be highly literate so I can always find out what I need to know to do what I want to do.
- live in a country where women have equal rights, and where my children are immunised from life-threatening illnesses as a matter of course
- Have clean running water and sanitation in my house; never have had to walk miles each day to collect dirty water for my children
OK, I do feel a little better for doing that. Grudgingly.